Machine Operator I Days - Job Type: Non-Exempt Full-time
Are you an experienced Operator who thrives working in a fast paced, production environment? Do you enjoy contributing to the success of our customers while providing them with unmatched product? IF yes, Dawn Foods wants you! Dawn Foods is proud to employ the top talent in the baking industry. We offer competitive pay and Benefits! Starting rates are between $16-$18 per hour and enjoy full time benefits DAY 1 of your employment!
Dawn welcomes candidates who have the desire to succeed within a team environment and appreciates a family owned company. With 100 years in business our Values drive our decisions, shape our interactions and are an anchor to our heritage, who we are and what makes us different. Make Dawn Foods your next career choice Today!
What's in it for you?
- Base Pay: $16-$18 per hour
- 9 Observed Holidays
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Life/Disability - Available DAY 1!
- 401(k) Retirement Program with company match and immediate vesting
- Sick/Personal/PTO Days
- Plus is much more!!
What you will be doing
Perform basic production functions as directed by Shift Lead including product preparation and supporting activities in accordance with product specifications, Standard Operating Procedures, GMPs, and proper use of production equipment. Maintain a clean and sanitary environment throughout the shift and maintain an expected line speed while performing production tasks and other duties as assigned by Management. Responsibilities may change without prior notice due to changes in ingredients, products, customer requirements, innovation, regulatory, safety, food safety or other changes in the work environment. This position description is intended to be a general guide to describe the daily requirements, training or procedures and expectations of the position.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is a fast-paced environment requiring constant and continuous production. Temperature changes as work area directs. While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works near moving vehicles and moving mechanical parts and is often exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with established policies, procedures and best practices with specific adherence to SOPs, GMPs, IFS standards and safety programs, reporting safety hazards to people or product.
- Ensure that product specifications and production schedule are adhered to.
- Follow Good Manufacturing Practices and keep work areas and equipment neat and clean consistently throughout shift.
- Communicate problems such as equipment failure, quality issues, food safety or safety hazards immediately to your Shift Lead.
- Depending upon job assignment, duties may include gathering, organizing, staging, scaling, verifying, scanning, loading, mixing and monitoring bulk ingredients. Duties may also include filling, packaging, labelling, metal detector checks, sifter screen, tailings, scale and shortening checks and perform clean down procedures of food contact equipment and manage rework based on the rework schedule.
- May be responsible for pre-start checklists, equipment checklists, batch verification counts and other documentation.
- Functions of a Cook in kettle line: Follows a recipe to create product in a large kettle
- Must be able to successfully perform tasks in Stack & Pull positions
- Able to understand the consequences and purpose of following a recipe/formula
- Able to follow instructions on formula:
- Example (adjust temperature & machine settings using touch screen, add product to kettle - up to 50 lbs.)
- Able to follow instructions for quality checks
- Example (extract a sample and measure PH test using a PH Meter) (add samples to testing equipment and record results on paper and touch screen) (Must be available and prodive help to quality tech who is doing allergen detection swabs)
- Must feel comfortable with basic trouble shooting and decision making after reviewing Quality checks
- In addition to keeping work area clean, must also follow sanitation process
- Example (Includes using products to eliminate allergens, hot water, brushes, pressurized hoses and manual scrubbing)
- Must be diligent in their work by following procedures, and hold themselves accountable for visual and swab tests of area to ensure no allergens have been eliminated.
- Must be able to remember the steps to break down, open, and/or put basic equipment back together after receiving training
- Example (removing bolts, detaching pipes, removing face plates to expose interior components and/or give access to a quality or maintenance technician)
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to grasp, move or utilize objects, tools or controls. Must be able to reach with hands and arms and talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to use sensory perception for quality measurement of products.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and frequently lift and/or move 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to focus.
- Must be able to tolerate potential allergens: peanut products, egg, dairy, gluten, wheat, soy, seafood and shellfish.
- Environment is noisy, hot/cold. Potential for sugar / flour dust, near steam, and climbs up/down one flight stairs approx.. 30 times per shift)
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports.
- Ability to communicate effectively with co-workers and other Dawn team members.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to deal with problem solving in variable situations.
- Must be able to work well with others and also independently.
- Forklift certified or ability to become certified.
- Computer skills are useful.
- Experience with GMPs, IFS standards, understand HACCP programs and plant safety programs.
- Must be flexible with shifts, days and hours; able to work overtime and weekends with limited notification.
- Ability to perform and demonstrate lock out tag out on equipment that operator is authorized to operate.
- Slippery surfaces due to ingredients; company provided foot gear is required.
- Certain areas of the plant require hearing protection, hearing protection is required in all areas of production. Several types of hearing protection are provided.
- Respirators (dust masks) are optional.
- Must complete and achieve a passing grade on all mandated safety training.
These positions will be based from our Denver, CO manufacturing plant. Every day, it's our promise that customers and families around the world can count on us to make life's moments memorable. Dawn Foods is a family company that has been creating high-quality bakery ingredients and products for nearly 100 years. From innovation to inspiration, the world's leading bakers count on us to build their business. We continue as a family operated company with rich tradition and a fun-loving environment, which are still the cornerstones of our success.
May also apply within:
4500 Lipan St. Denver, CO 80211
Here at Dawn, our crisis management team is meeting regularly to assess our response to COVID-19. As part of this, we are looking at potential changes in our interview and onboarding process, as your health and safety is of the utmost importance to us. We encourage you to check back frequently and know that recruiters will be in touch with candidates as needed. We appreciate your interest in becoming part of the Dawn Family and will continue to make updates as new information becomes available.
Dawn Recruitment Team
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.